Energy extraction by tidal impoundment involves the impoundment of seawater behind a barrage or lagoon. Power is generated when water is let into or out of the impoundment.
Images (left to right, top to bottom):
- Proposed projects in the severn estuary, UK
- La Rance Tida Power, France - www.edf.fr
- Severn Tidal Fence, UK - Artists Impression
- Annapolis Tidal Power, Canada - Courtest of Nova Scotia Power - www.nspower.ca
- Tidal Mill Electricity Generation, La Penze, France - Courtest of Loїs Ménanteau, University of Nantes
- Tidal Mill Tagus Estuary, Portugal - Courtest of Ecomuseu Municipal do Seixal, Portugal - www.moinhdosmare-europa.org